Visa Wellington On a Plate | Wellington | 12th – 28th August 2016
New Zealand’s largest and tastiest culinary festival is set to serve Wellington with great meal deals this August. This event is held over the last two weeks of August annually in our capital city and is the ultimate food festival with culinary events, delicious set menus, burgers and scrumptious cocktails.
Wellington is the acclaimed culinary capital of New Zealand so there could not be a better place for this event. Spoilt for choice of participating restaurants and cafe’s, we thought we would give you an ezi guide on our top picks.
Festival Events span the Wellington region featuring future chefs, historical eats and pop-ups and wine bars. With a wide array of restaurants, bars and hotels putting on events to indulge, educate and excite participants, this really is a smorgasbord of spectacular culinary experiences.
Our top picks for events to get along to include:
- #Bakingitbetter Mystery Box Challenge – This is an event for those of you who think you are Wellington’s best baker. The Mystery Box Challenge allows you to get creative in your own kitchen using a mystery box of incredible local ingredients. You then submit your baked goodies to be judged by Wellington culinary heroes. There are prizes for the best sweet treat, the best savoury treat and the most creative treat.
- A Night with Willy Wonka – This event is held at the Wellington Chocolate Factory and teaches you the art of bean to-bar chocolate-making. This event includes a tour of the factory, a chocolate bar making class and you get to take the chocolates with you!
- Egmont Street Eatery’s ‘Street Eats and Beats‘ – Egmont St. Eatery will be transformed into a Japanese Izakaya Den where guests can enjoy a menu of Asian-inspired small plates or street food. Cocktails, beers and sake will also accompany the food, with local DJs providing beats.
- Hops & Chops – this pop up event is an evening of craft beer (hops) and tasty meat (chops). How could you resist?!
136 of Wellington’s best restaurants and eateries participate in Dine Wellington, offering special set lunch and dinner menus which are all paired with a regional wine or craft beer. All 2016 Dine Wellington main courses are referred to as Festival Dishes. This year the chefs were inspired by the theme “An Element of Surprise”. The winner of Dine Wellington will be the dish that best reflects this theme and incorporates the use of locally sourced ingredients.
We’re pretty eager to taste:
- El Matador’s Braised PrimeStar beef short rib with humita, wilted spinach, dulce-glazed beetroot and Malbec jus
- Dragonfly’s Free range drunken chicken with Capital Produce green garlic, rice wine broth, snowpeas, black fungi and jasmine rice
- Boulcott Street Bistro’s Beef Wellington: Preston’s Natural Farm beef with Parkvale Mushroom duxelle, spinach, ginger carrot purée and beef jus
- Basque’s Pan-fried Yellow Brick Road tarakihi with piquillo sauce, house smoked cod mash and braised Harbourside Market cavolo nero
Garage Project presents Burger Wellington
Restaurants that participate in Dine Wellington also have the opportunity to enter Garage Project’s Burger Wellington: a battle of the best burgers in town. This battle is based on the score that customers give each burger so get ready to devour on the mission to determine the best burger and burger + beer match.
This year there is a record-setting 116 burgers battling it out for burger supremacy. Our top picks to try include:
- Dockside’s Zeus’s French Jamican – Coq au Vin jerk chicken with parsley slaw and Zany Zeus mascarpone mac ‘n’ cheese balls
- Louis Sergeant Sweet Couture’s Le Canard Du Roy – On Trays duck confit and duck liver parfait with Capital Produce zucchini, citrus and micro-herb salad, prune chutney and truffle mayonnaise in a truffle brioche bun
- The Old Bailey’s 1840 Shoreline Burger – Spicy soft cell crab with apple and cabbage slaw, Wairarapa lemon and vodka marmalade in a Zaida’s milk bun, with pig tail fries and chilli lime mayonnaise
- Beach Babylon’s No Smoke Without Fire – Chargrilled Angus beef patty with Kāpiti Pakari aged cheddar and jalapeño fondue, Harringtons bacon, Huffman’s Crafty Sauces chilli jam and habanero mustard, with handcut chips
- Charlie Noble‘s Charley’s Trap – Wagyu beef patty with trashcan gypsy-smoked Preston’s bacon, chimichurri, On Trays gruyère, truffled mayonnaise, cucumber pickle and salad
Cocktail Wellington brought to you by Spirits New Zealand
Cocktail Wellington showcases Wellington’s creative cocktail community as mixologists compete to serve the most delicious and original cocktail with matching tapas. Customers score each cocktail to vote on the winner.
Here at Ezi we think that these cocktails have a winning chance:
- Ancestral’s Edo Daiquiri – Smoke & Oakum’s Gunpowder rum with sake, lime and maraschino cherry with matcha green tea foam. Accompanied by charcoal grilled salmon and sea salt
- Hummingbird’s Gorse Reviver – Lighthouse Gin with calvados, Cocchi Americano, housemade gorse flower gomme, The Daily Squeeze lemon juice, egg white and bitters, garnished with edible flowers. Accompanied by Longbush Pork belly, apple praline curd, pineapple, and fennel ferment
- The Arborist’s Drunken Affogato – Smooth vodka espresso martini poured over Kāpiti vanilla ice cream infused with fennel and whiskey syrup. Accompanied by housemade doughnut bites and Wellington Chocolate Factory chilli chocolate sauce
So, what are you waiting for ? Our lovely Wellington team is waiting for you with the perfect gateway car!