Imagine golden beaches and coastal bush.
Time: 3 – 5 days (you can choose to start and end at different points on the track)
Grade: Different ability options
The Abel Tasman Coast Track is family-friendly and caters to many capabilities. Plan a walk that suits yours, while experiencing the luscious, coastal bush and sandy beaches. Walking along the naturally sculptured terrain, you’ll be mesmerised with what New Zealand stores at the top of the South Island. You can walk it in either direction, and it’s well-marked and signposted to help you stay on track.
The track is very popular through the summer season, so be sure to book your huts, water taxis and campsites well ahead of time.
Getting to Marahau:
Hire a vehicle from Ezi Car Rental Nelson Airport – it takes around 1hr 10 minutes to get to Marahau and the start of the track.
Day 1: Marahau to Anchorage (4 hours)
Day 2: Anchorage to Bark Bay (4 hours high tide, 3 hours low tide)
Day 3: Bark Bay to Awaroa (4.5 hours)
Day 4: Awaroa to Whariwharangi Bay (5.5 hours)
Day 5: Whariwharangi Bay to Totaranui (2 – 3 hours)
Things to note:
- Utilise the water taxi that operates between Marahau and Totaranui.
- Book your Ezi Car Rental ahead of time.
- Book your hut stays ahead of time: DOC operates 4 huts and 18 campsites.
- Read up on safety and weather changes.
- There is a tidal crossing at Awaroa, so be sure to check the tide times to ensure you can cross safely.
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you expect to be back.
- Take sufficient supplies for the whole duration.