Time: 15 min return
Distance: 360 m
The reserve is located at the South Head of Hokianga Harbour on Northland’s west coast, approximately 2 hours drive from Whangarei. Covering the southern headland of the Hokianga Harbour, this reserve offers magnificent views over the harbour and along the wild west coast. A short walk leads to the site of an old signal station built to assist ships making the treacherous passage into the Hokianga. It closed in 1951 due to a decline in ships making their way through this dangerous route into the harbour. A track also heads down to pretty little Martin’s Bay.